Climate change, conflict and inflation has pushed Europe into an unprecedented energy crisis resulting in elevated energy costs which presents a substantial challenge for European businesses. 50% of all Europe’s energy consumption is used for heating & cooling with the total annual heat demand being 599 TWh. A massive 62.1% of that heating is generated using fossil fuels, 38.2% of which is from Gas. Europe currently imports 90% of its gas, the supply of which has been severely threatened due to the war in Ukraine, prior to which Russia was supplying 40% of Europe’s gas.
Heat is available in abundance during the spring and summer months when heating demand is low. When demand is high during the autumn and winter months, heat is unavailable which is what drives the burning of fossil fuel. European businesses are grappling for stability of fuel cost and supply. They need a solution that offers consistent, reliable and affordable heat that gives them independence and self-sufficiency, reducing the impact of the energy crisis.
That solution is Heliostorage Seasonal Thermal Energy Storage (STES). With the Heliostorage STES solution, we use solar thermal collectors to capture heat from the summer sun. These collectors are an ideal choice for capturing heat because they are efficient, cost-effective, and sustainable. We use our unique borehole thermal energy storage system to store the captured heat for later use during the winter. By shifting the availability of heat to match heating demand, costs can be reduced by up to 89%.
The benefits of using Heliostorage seasonal thermal energy storage include:
- Lower Heating Costs: By storing energy during the summer months, commercial customers can significantly reduce their heating bill. This has a direct impact on their bottom line.
- Improved Reliability: Seasonal thermal energy storage provides a reliable source of heating during times of high demand, such as winter months. This gives commercial customers independence from fuels elevated fuel costs or fuel supply issues.
- Reduced Carbon Footprint: Seasonal thermal energy storage is a sustainable solution as it reduces the reliance on fossil fuels and helps to reduce carbon emissions.
- Sustainable: Solar thermal collectors are a sustainable option for capturing heat because they generate energy from a renewable source – the sun. Unlike burning fossil fuels, solar thermal collectors do not emit harmful pollutants or contribute to climate change, making them an environmentally friendly choice.
- Increased Energy Efficiency: The Heliostorage seasonal thermal energy storage solution is designed to be highly efficient. Our heat optimization algorithms manage all thermal flows within the system ensuring that heat is utilized where and when it is needed in an efficient way.
The Heliostorage seasonal thermal energy storage solution is a game-changer for commercial customers looking to reduce energy costs, improve energy reliability, reduce carbon emissions, and to sustainably secure heat independence. It provides a cost-effective and sustainable way to shift the seasonal availability of heat to match demand, thus providing independence to European businesses allow them to improve their bottom line.
Why switch from oil or gas to seasonal thermal energy storage?
Switching from oil or gas heating to the Heliostorage seasonal thermal energy storage solution will provide energy bills at a fraction of earlier costs, emission free heating, and therefore also a contribution towards sustainability. The benefits of a Heliostorage solution are favorable especially to businesses with excess heat from e.g. manufacturing processes. Waste heat can effortlessly be stored away and later be used to heat a facility in winter.
When is the best time to install solar thermal energy storage?
The Heliostorage solar thermal energy storage solution will provide energy independence faster the earlier in spring that the solution is installed, as the reserves will start to fill up well before the heating season. The patented system has a low energy usage. It can be combined with a heat-pump to further enhance heat availability while substantially increasing the efficiency of the heat pump.
Looking for an Alternative Heating Solution?
If you have a heating demand in excess of 300 MWh and would like to see if Heliostorage could help you to lower your energy bill, complete the questionnaire and we will get back to you shortly.